Friday, May 6, 2011

My First "Official" Wine Description

One of my favorite stories to tell people, especially those who seem to struggle with their descriptors, is about my very first job in the wine industry.  It goes a little something like this:

I was hired to work in the tasting room at a local winery.  Before he was going to put me on the floor he wanted to gauge what I "knew" about wine.  He gave me a wine to try, which was one of the client wines (not one of theirs), and asked me to tell him what I thought.  Immedimately I told him "I don't want to".  He encouraged me and said there was no wrong answer (come to find out he does think there is a WRONG answer) and I told him once again that I didn't want to.  Finally, I was out with it and this is what I said, "It reminds me of cheap, cold turkey lunch meat, the slimy kind".  Told you!  He realized at that moment he did think there was a wrong answer, and that was it!!  He promptly, with confusion and a large smile, asked if that was REALLY what I thought.  He also disagreed with me.  I stood by what I said (and couldn't get myself to try that particular wine again).  Needless to say I worked there for over a year.

This story always gets a good laugh and tends to help loosen people up and that is the point.  Over time I stopped this kind of honesty when describing wines, even in my own private notes.  I had become one of the "wheel people".  What are "wheel people"?  I think I will leave that for a future post!  Now that I am note-taking again I have found that my confidence has allowed me to be honest in that innocent way as I was all those years ago.  I think someone once said, "Honesty is the best policy!" and I believe there is something to that.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment